|Democratic Republic of Congo
Our activities in the Democratic Republic of Congo have ended but retain the existing description of country activities. To request a copy of the final country report, send an email to the PHR-InfoCenter@abtassoc.com.
PHRplus is working to improve the management and financing of health zones in collaboration with the USAID bilateral rural health project (SANRU III), the Ministry of Health and the School of Public Health of the University of Kinshasa.
- Strengthen the capacity of health zone workers in financial management, planning and budgeting by providing tools and training.
- Examine obstacles to low levels of health care services utilization and introduce various financing
mechanisms to improve the financial sustainability of the health zones.
- Identify, document and disseminate best practices being implemented by rural health zones in the areas of information use, finance and management.
- Collaborate on the baseline KPC survey of SANRU-supported health zones for sections concerning health care utilization and expenditures.
- Financial management: analyze the organization and management of three health zones (2 rural and 1 urban) to assist USAID's Mission strategy. Develop, field test, and refine management accounting tools; develop computerized software modules to improve health zone management systems; access potential for community-based finance mechanisms for health zones; and access current environment for improving access and services at urban hospital facilities through models of public-private partnerships.
- Survey collaboration: Provide input to development of SANRU III evaluation matrix (specifically inclusion of questions related to finance and health service utilization/access issues in KPC surveys) and assist in analysis of responses.
- Developed data collection tools for the analysis of the organization and management of three health zones.
- Pilot tested new forms and procedures to strengthen financial management and accounting at the zonal referral hospital level, the central health zone bureau, and the health center in two health zones.
- Contributed to household survey questionnaire for questions related to health care utilization and cost.