To improve access to and quality of reproductive and primary health care, PHRplus/Jordan works with the Ministry of Health (MOH) on hospital decentralization, health insurance, and national health accounts (NHA).
- Develop systems and capacity to contract for a bundled package of reproductive health care services.
- Improve managerial expertise and systems in Jordan’s public hospitals.
- Integrate a permanent NHA team into the MOH organizational structure, to ensure that the MOH planning process utilizes NHA data.
Health Insurance: PHRplus is assisting the MOH to develop systems and procedures to operate a pilot program to establish formal contracts with private providers for maternal health services, including delivery and pre- and postnatal care. The program design incorporates features to increase continuity, quality, and access to services while also improving the approach to financing health care services.
Hospital Decentralization: PHRplus has assisted the directors of the 21 MOH hospitals to establish a Public Hospital Forum that allows them to discuss management and decentralization issues. PHRplus is now assisting its two pilot hospitals (Al Karak and Princess Raya) to establish job descriptions and personnel evaluation tools for staff. It is helping hospitals to better track and control costs, identify and charge non-poor users, retain fees collected, and monitor their performance against quality and efficiency indicators.
NHA: Establishment of the NHA unit within the MOH will provide MOH policymakers with a tool to monitor and evaluate allocation of scarce resources. This tool will be particularly important as the MOH expands insurance coverage to uninsured Jordanians.
- Developed a MIS, draft contracts, and draft procedures to support MOH efforts to contract.
- Defined a bundle of reproductive health services to improve continuity/quality of care.
- Established a Steering Committee and Technical Advisory Group that meet regularly.
- Developed clinical guidelines for maternal and child health to improve quality at contracted hospitals.
- Established a Forum of MOH hospital administrators that focuses on decentralization activities.
- Developed job descriptions for all positions at Al Karak hospital (360 personnel).
- Developed and installed Management Accounting System for Hospitals in two pilot hospitals.
- Identified criteria for means-testing.
- Developed performance indicators for Al Karak based on MASH and job descriptions.
- Established NHA unit in the MOH Department of Planning.
Dwayne Banks (Chief of Party) Anwar Khasawneh, Gary Gaumer, Michael Murphy, Nadwa Rafeh (Health Insurance) Fatina Halawani, Manjiri Bhawalkar (NHA) Mary Paterson, Sahsa Telyukov, Ken Donaldson (Hospital Decentralization) Runa Sindaha, Rasha Ghannoum, Alia Al-Muhtaseb, Emad Saber (Administrative Staff) Kathleen Poer, Team Leader; Mary Diehl, Task Manager (US staff).